15 March 2009

Getting to Patna

For me, the highlight of the trip was meeting my grandmother and it was not a great time because N was miserable for parts of it. That said, being in Ranchi felt like prison in comparison to Bokaro; we didn't have anyone we could rely on for help, we were pretty much left to our own devices. With N being unwell, we stayed home on the Sunday and watched N recuperate (floor licking continued).

My parents have a (and I have to pronounce this carefully) a ghatia in their Ranchi flat. A ghatia is like a bench, but weaved out of plant material and wood. Anyway, N decided that it was hilarious to crawl under the ghatia first thing each morning after being released from boring sleep time. We could not encourage her to do it anyother time of day. The ritual would involve crawling/slipping on marble out of our bedroom, turning right at ghatia, giggling away as she went under the ghatia and then emerging the other side. I captured it on video, so I'll bore you all with it one day.

We left Ranchi for Patna on Monday 9th of February. This was going to be interesting for me. Deepti's been in Australia about 1.5 years and left home after the wedding. So it was two years since she had spent time with her family and of course they hadn't met N.

A guy I sat next to on the plane answered his phone at between 10000 and 15000 feet. This had me freaked out as surely we were all meant to crash and die when that happened. And he was talking to someone. Obviously we did not all crash and die.

Arriving in Patna (Jai Prakash Narayan International Airport), Deepti ran ahead to meet her parents whilst I grabbed my dad's favourite, toothless airport porter who looked like he'd fall over everytime he picked up a suitcase. Deepti's family had organised a car for us and we went back to the Maurya Hotel, which some of you may remember. Due to the wedding, just about everyone in the hotel knew us. Kind of freaky when staff would ring the doorbell just to say hello.

No comments: