12 July 2009

Househunting sucks!

This househunting thing is turning into a pain.

Example in part.

Turned up to an auction. We had driven past a house, liked it, but accepted it wouldn't be in our range (with previously mentioned 10 per cent rule) and so decided to attend and see what happened.

Dutifully, turned up to the auction last Saturday, dressed as powerfully as I could muster (not very powerfully) and stood up the front. I'm confident it worked because there was no opening bids, so I through in a "try my luck" bid.

The bids didn't follow the script and I easily won. But we didn't meet the reserve. This gives us the opportunity to be individually pressured by the agents to meet the reserve. I actually think it is a higher pressure game than being outside the house. Three agents in suits all trying to muscle me up. I refused to meet the reserve, but did up my bid to the top of our range.

They then went outside to talk to other potential buyers and got a higher bid, which they asked me to match. I said no and lost by 3k.

The next day and a half was full of angst; for 3k we would have got the house of our dreams etc etc. Deepti tried her best to console me, but she also liked the house. So I rang the agent on Monday and said if the contracts do break, give me a call.

He rang me a few hours later. The purchaser hadn't shown up, etc I'm sure this is illegal but basically said make an offer; if the purchaser falls through I'll take the bid to the seller and he'll accept it straight away.

Anyway, the purchaser did eventually show up. But at the stage the agent started being all friendly to us, i.e. on the Monday, I started to hesitate. I actually started to think, be careful what we wish for. It wasn't the dream house and we're so glad we didn't get it.

Andrew, when the next house comes to auction that we want, I'll give you a call...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a painful process! But it sounds like the right outcome occurred, i.e. you didn't pay over your limit for a house you actually didn't want. Sounds like you were dealing with some particularly slimy real estate agents, too.