21 June 2008

Waterloo (Baby Bjorn Kangaroo pouch)

Due to my unique anatomy, Naina has found it increasingly uncomfortable falling asleep on me. She doesn't feel comfy resting against my chest and when I hoist her up over my shoulder, she starts to be too high or feels like she is going to fall (I've only nearly dropped her once). So it has been a frustrating couple of weeks. There was about a month and a half after she was born where she'd fall asleep against a light post (if she could sit up by herself), but recently, it is only hugs and tights holds from Deepti or my mum that seems to settle her.


Happier times with Deepti

So this afternoon, after the drive, we were preparing for Anveeta's arrival for dinner. Deepti and I and Naina were in the kitchen (Naina in her rocker). It occurred to me that Naina looked tired so I tried the usual holding her in place, walking, rocking, but it made her more and more distressed. It is very frustrating being unable to make my daughter happy, or at least sleep, without the use of Panadol as a bribe.

So we ventured to the Baby Bjorn. This had been used once when Andrew and Kate came around when Naina was two weeks old. It had been a smashing success that day, but we had not had the opportunity to use it since. I was determined to get Naina into it and asleep.

Naina was determined not to be in it and to be asleep in her mum's arms.

We pushed and shoved and balanced and finally got her in. She then proceeded to yelp for 10 minutes or so about how much she didn't like being in there. But then something magical happen. She fell asleep. Okay it involved lots of shushing noises, lots of Irish style jigs on my behalf, lots of not giving up, but she went to bed. How good is that!?!

PS Thanks to James and Bronwyn for the fantastic gift of the Baby Bjorn. We'll use it more and more from now on.

With me in the pouch today

No comments: