29 April 2009

Other changes - vocab

N's become vocal, very vocal at times. Not "just" the crying and occasional temper tantrum (lasting all of two seconds and involving putting her head on the floor and waling). She also does the usual - baba, dada, tata (with waving goodbye hand gestures, even when on phone).

However, more deliberately, she's putting together some great words - like "Dey-Do" and "Do" which mean "Give it to me" and (more authoritatively "Give it to me!") which is usually followed by some lunging and whinging when we don't give it to her.

Also, when she drops something or hears us talking in a certain context - like I just dropped my pen, she will add "Jha...." which means the equivalent of damn or shucks - not a swear word but more a sigh of annoyance. So Deepti was saying that her arm was hurting and I jokingly said "Tut-gya?" which means "Is it broken" and N pops up with "Jha...." with Indian hand gestures.

She greets me at the end of the day with Jha... jha... as we play the jha game each day when I come home.

She's seemingly only learnt hindi phrases and words at this stage; when I say to where did you hurt yourself when you fell off the coffee table (sigh, that's coming up soon), she won't respond. However, asking the same question in Hindi and she'll put her hand on her head where it hurts. Amazing.















Rock star with six teeth

No comments: