03 July 2008

Naina and poo and gas

I wish I meant Winnie the Pooh.

Naina was being fed and did a poo. Deepti called me from the computer room and asked me to do the ceremonial duties. Unfortunately, Naina had a few too many big meals today and halfway through the changeover we got more and more and more poo. I'll never look at mustard sauce the same again.

But seriously, I think just about every new parent agonises over poo, especially in those first few months. Is it often enough, is it too often, is it the right colour, why is it that texture etc etc.

My sister told me she never wanted me to become a poo parent, one that discusses baby poos in public, but here I am!

Naina's not what one would term regular. More like semi-irregular with the odd extra kick, like tonight. She's managed to do poos during her feed, our dinner, whilst we were away at the doctor's and whilst we were in bed and the noise was the most telling signal. She also gets very hungry afterwards.

In terms of gas, we've been blessed with a little girl who can get the gas out with a minute or two of going upright. No writhing in pain, no screaming etc. Like most asian cultures, there's a Indian recipe at hand that was suggested by my mum - a teaspoon of saunf (fennel seeds) and a teaspoon of ajwain (carom seeds) and boiled up, cooled and diluted with water, then drunk at room temperature. It worked for us!

She's a gassy girl that's for sure, all sorts of noises. After a bottle feed, we have to get her sitting up to get the belch. She's up with the best belchers of all time. The passing wind is a little more indiscreet and comes during guests visits generally (Green, Catherine, you have been warned) and at polite dinners where Deepti and I are reminiscing of a simpler time.

(insert audio clip of two people discussing a new Melbourne restaurant, silence, then a gassy whoopy cushion noise from under the table, then silence again, then a baby giggling to herself).

No comments: