25 August 2008

Naina

Naina's good. Still "small" by Western centric standards.

I put it down to the vaccines she had last week. She put on 40g in about 8 days, but was very unsettled for most of it, so I think she may have lost weight and was on the upswing anyhoo.

But because of due concerns, I thought I'd take the afternoon off work and attend the nurse's appointment.

Apart from hurting my back carrying Ms N around, I was informed that there is a "Indian babies" weight chart. So my job is to go and find it. The nurse also reassured us (in that feint praise style) that well, at least she's putting on weight.

Funny enough the nurse advised to breast feed for 5 mins then switch to the other breast for 5 mins. I thought, hmm, that runs counter-intuitive to the idea that the real fat part of the milk is at the end and it is more watery for those first few minutes. They're the experts in this stuff, so lets give it a go.

Anyway, without going in to too much poo detail, it didn't work (the proof was in the nappy, so to speak). Naina was probably overfeeding on high sugar milk and not getting enough of the fat milk. We've gone back to a more routine feeding pattern and Ms N carries on like the happy smiley baby she is!



Ms N, 1, Murrumbeena MCHN, Nil (read as a soccer scorecard).

PS: Just found the Indian weight for age graph: Naina is in the 25 th percentile for weight (5.4 kg) and bang on 50 th percentile for height (61 cm).


No comments: