12 September 2008

Sleep

Baby sleep. Naina's not a good sleeper, yet. I'd be interested to hear when Max, Isobelle, Hamish, Eva, Jinu are good sleepers yet and if so, when they became good sleepers.

Naina has been up and down; some nights she's great in bed at 830 and peaceful until 7 am with occasional food nibbles. This contrasts with her crappy nights, where no rest till 11 or 12 and then up every hour or so. Still can't complain too much. Or can I?

We've just entered a bad sleep phase. N started falling asleep at about 830pm for an hour each night then waking up screaming, miserable, sniffling, her whole body shaking. This would happen night after night and no consoling seemed to work except turning on the light, standing in front of the heater and talking and laughing and making faces and noises. By the time she stopped screaming, sniffling and weeping, she'd be wide awake and unable to go back to sleep for an hour or so. This actually happened twice in one night, which meant that we were so exhausted we slept till 11 am (all three of us) totally ruining Miss N's sleep pattern that whole weekend.

So, being a scientician, and as Homer would say (trying to be understanding) is it gas?

Well, we've assumed it is and have tried dosing N at about 800pm with her last feed with Infacol. It seems to be working well, no wake up screamings since. A relief. Except tonight. We cut the dose; she woke up again, but not as intensely unhappy. Some water and a feed and she settled again. Back to the drawing board I think.


3 comments:

jenr said...

Hello AD
I am new to your blog, Anna just told me about it last week when we were discussing the neccessary manouvoures to get her to the hosp once she's in labour.
So this is the first time I have seen pix of Naina. Honestly, I gasped aloud. "She's beautiful!" I cried to no one in particular, since all else are asleep, even hubby snoring on the couch.
I am no expert, only a hack, a field officer who is mother of 3 and immersed in the lives of small children, and their hangers on.
I hope I have your blessing to read your blog and offer support in this crazy world of babies who think they know more than we do.
love jen

Bob said...

Ad, I've got nothing useful to tell you. For the record, Jinu rages, rages against the dying of the light (to misappropriate), but then once he's gone he's out for the count. He wakes up once or twice for food, but is usually asleep again by the time we try to burp him. Our problem is all in the evenings, when we literally pin him to the bed to stop him flailing.

Naina's blog said...

Hi Jen

Most welcome to. If I knew your email address, I'd have put you on the list as well.

The more I come to grips with fatherhood (read, 3% gripped), I'm more and more keen to find out others experiences and hope we're not the only one going through highs and lows like crazy....
Aditya