04 October 2008

Baby withdrawal symptoms

I'm definitely going into withdrawal.

On the upside, my productivity at work is up, I've got my tax return done and started booking our holiday in India. These are all good things.

On the downside, the sight of Naina's socks makes me feel down right sad. Coming home to an empty home, where nothing has moved all day, no little disasters, no cheerful laughing, is quite depressing. I listened to a Tom Waits album in the car today. I think that says it all.

I didn't expect myself to get so attached. I've always been the cynical unattached good looking type. I came back to Melbourne on Sunday and felt genuinely sad to see Naina's toys on the ground (and no Naina) and Deepti's things in the bedroom (and no Deepti). I think my sense of sadness is manifesting itself in going to bed hungry and then not being able to sleep till 1am.

Seriously, I have no idea what I did with my life before Deepti and Naina came along (I guess "the pub" filled aspects of the void). It used to take me ages to do my tax return, filling in all the forms, double checking, photocopying, sending off the accountant. It took me all of an hour and a half today, whilst I watched a movie in Hindi and tried to read subtitles. That also included time that a door-knocker selling cheap gas and electricity wasted my time. So I reckon it took me fourty five minutes. Either having a baby has made me more efficient or I was just a time waster before.

Being a dad is tough work.

Dan I think agrees with me there. Dan required more pain killers than Anna when Anna gave birth to Charlotte recently.

But being a dad without wife and baby around is even tougher. Not sure how I'll cope when Deepti's in India for Feb and March.

4 comments:

Andrew Scott said...

Was your door-knocker from Victoria Energy? They seem particularly tenacious.

Naina's blog said...

Great scott, I think you are right!

This guy tried to bamboozle me with "there's nothing you have to change etc" gets in the house and then says you will be switch to Victoria Energy. And when I said I'm not interested in switching, he went slightly angry and said "So you're happy to pay high prices?". No, I'm just unhappy to have people doorknocking on Saturday afternoon about changing electricity plans.

Naina's blog said...

Oh how's Harriet by the way? Looking forward to meeting to her soon.

Andrew Scott said...

She will be two weeks old in just a few hours. It seems like it's been so much longer. But in a good way.