24 December 2008

7/1 Port Jackson Circuit

First stop was the apartment. I bought the apartment in 2004 December and sold it in 2008 December. Noice symmetry there.

I remember first spending time in Philip in 2004 and then when looking to buy, thinking no way am I going to buy in Philip. I did buy and it was a pretty good move at the time and in hindsight.

Deepti commented how much I must have loved living in the quiet of Canberra, no one to disturb me, the computer and the TV. Quite true. I distinctly recall where I kept the computer, the TV and my electric heater when I lived there.

It felt really strange walking in though, bearing the above in mind. When I left the place in March 2006 to go work with the evil Swiss pharma company in Melbourne, I'd been talking to Deepti for a few months by email, as a friend, with no real plans to meet her and certainly no idea of what things were ahead.

So to come back 2 years and 8 months later married to Deepti, in a totally new career with a slightly less evil American pharma company (hello Mr Begley if you are reading) and of course, with a lovely little daughter named N had me feeling spun out, washed out and dazed. I'd never counted on the next time I walked back in to that apartment, being with my wife and little girl.

I suppose that's the time capsule effect - what were you doing when you were at this physical location in your life. I've rarely been in that situation, my memories of living in Nedlands are vague at best now and all other places I've lived since have been rented properties, without too many distinct memories apart from Darling Rd, where we are now. Don't get me wrong, I have good memories of West Melbourne apartment and Glen Iris and Richmond, but none as imprinted as Port Jackson Circuit and Canberra.

Photos were obligatory to remind me of the spin out! Even more so with the apartment bereft of furniture;

New found commando crawling skills

Pig tails just keep on getting bigger

Looking glum, baby reclining, probably adds to nostalgia

No comments: