12 December 2008

Movements

We're off to Canberra next weekend (20-21 December); I finally sold my flat up there and Deepti, N and I are going to do one final look over and catch up with Canberra friends.

After Xmas and New Year, we're over to Perth on 09 January for Green and Catherine's wedding. Deepti and N will stay back with my parents for a week and return to Melbourne on 19 January.

Then on 01February 2008, Deepti N and I are off to India. We're staying in Delhi a night and then off to Ranchi and Bokaro to visit my grandmother with her first great grand-daughter.

We're still working out if my Nani, grandmother, is Naina's per-Nani (great grandmother on N's dad's mother's side) or per-Dadi (great grandmother on dad's side). I'm not sure where the relationship is defined - my relationship to Naina or my relationship to my grandmother. See I think we had this discussion before about how confusing it is in Indian culture having special terms for each relationship depending on how the relationship is formed.

My dad's sisters are my bua's and their husbands are phupha's.
My dad's brother's are my chaacha's and their wives are chaachi's
My mum's sister's are my mausi's and their husband's are my mausa's
My mum's brother's are my mama's and their wives are my mami's
And my grandparents on dad's side are dada/dadi
And my grandparents on mum's side are nana/nani

Don't ask me what happens if a relation on my dad's side marries a relation on my mum's side, or what I am expected to call my brother's wives or my sister's husband's.


So after Ranchi it is Patna where Deepti and N will stay for about two months. I'll be back by Feb 15, unless I wangle my boss into letting me stay in Singapore for a week to audit the Singapore office and attend a conference and eat lots of nasi goreng and Indonesian food.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Man, in Korean they even have different names based on whether its your mother's older sister or mother's younger sister (etc, etc,..) Damn over-structured society.